Look Up - Look Out!
The safety of those working near electric lines is important to everyone at GUC. And in North Carolina, there is a law – the High Voltage Safety Act – to help keep you safe. This law applies to anyone planning to:
- Work within 10 feet of an overhead high voltage power line
- Use ladders or operate/install equipment that could approach within 10 feet of a high voltage line during installation or maintenance.
The person performing the work is responsible for notifying GUC at least two working days before beginning the job by emailing or calling us at 252-551-2098. You'll need to provide the following information:
- Your name, address and telephone number
- The location of the proposed work
- The name, address and telephone number of the person responsible for the work
- The field telephone number of the work site, if one is available
- The type, duration and extent of the work to be done
- The name of the person requesting the work
- The day and time of the notice
- Approximate date and time when work will be done
Workers will need to make sure all safety precautions have been taken before work begins. Greenville Utilities will assist you to identifying hazards and implementing necessary safety precautions. You could be subject to charges for protective actions taken on your behalf by GUC.