Environmental stewardship has long been an underlying principle at GUC. Our commitment to energy efficiency and to the protection of the environment extends to our facilities and the ways we use them, to our policies both internal and external, and to our business practices. We have modeled conservation and environmental excellence for many years, long before the term “going green” became popular.
“Stewardship” means taking care of the environment today so that the next generation can enjoy the same amenities and natural beauty as we do. It’s a promise and an obligation that GUC takes seriously.
We practice stewardship every day:
- We protect and utilize water resources in a sustainable and ecologically balanced manner.
- We reduce, reuse, and recycle to conserve landfill space.
- The electricity we provide increasingly comes from renewable resources like wind and solar as well as nuclear and natural gas, which burns much cleaner and produces far fewer greenhouse gasses than coal.
- We offer customers opportunities to improve the efficiencies of their homes and buildings, which also lowers energy use and minimizes the impact on the environment.
- We have lowered energy use at our facilities by replacing equipment, changing lighting, and installing renewable energy generators.
- We installed a compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling station to encourage businesses and individuals to use a fuel that will reduce their carbon footprint (CNG burns much cleaner than gasoline or diesel)
Simply running the CNG Fueling Station has allowed us to reduce CO2 emissions by more than 3,980 tons! We are always trying to recruit more industries, businesses, and local governments to convert their diesel fleets to cleaner-burning CNG.