Greenville Utilities is pleased to offer our customers the opportunity to participate in NC GreenPower, a voluntary environmental program. NC GreenPower provides an easy and effective opportunity to balance your impact on the environment for as little as $4 a month. NC GreenPower offers complementary ways to make a difference through Renewable Energy that supports cleaner energy sources and Carbon Offsets that mitigate greenhouse gases. Combined with your personal energy conservation, Renewable Energy and Carbon Offsets help you create a cleaner, greener environment.
How does the program work?
Participation is completely voluntary, and you can opt to donate through your GUC bill. Signing up is simple. To request an enrollment form, email or call us at 252-752-7166 and one will be mailed to you, download our brochure. After you’ve completed the form, simply mail it back to the address on the form or enclose it with your bill payment. Or you can sign up in person at GUC’s Main Office, located at 401 S. Greene Street or the GUC Express Office at 509 SE Greenville Boulevard.
- For each Renewable Energy block subsidized by a customer, NC GreenPower pays a premium to a generator producing green power from renewable sources like the sun, wind, and organic matter.
- For every $4 donated, 100 kilowatt hours (kWh) of renewable energy supplied to the electric grid in North Carolina, rather than from traditional sources.
- Over the course of a year, that monthly $4 donation will put an entire month's worth of traditional residential power usage on the grid from renewable resources. That's the environmental equivalent of planting 192 trees!
- For each Carbon Offset block subsidized by a customer, NC GreenPower pays a premium to a project owner or developer in the NC/SC/VA regional area that is mitigating greenhouse gases through a project such as: methane gas capture from animal waste or a landfill; reforestation or avoiding deforestation.
- For every $4 donated, 1,000 pounds* of carbon dioxide or carbon dioxide equivalent emissions are mitigated. *Increase from 500 pounds effective August 1, 2011
- Over the course of a year, that monthly $4 donation will offset the approximate emissions of the average car traveling 15,000 miles. That's the environmental equivalent of planting 923 trees!
About your contribution
- NC GreenPower contributions will be itemized on your monthly statement and appear as an additional charge on your regular utility bill.
- NC GreenPower contributions are collected on your behalf by GUC and passed over in their entirety to the NC GreenPower. GUC does not keep any of the money.
- Donations to the 501(c)(3) charity are tax deductible to the extent allowed by the law.
Customers who would prefer to make a one-time contribution to NC GreenPower - instead of monthly contributions - should send it to NC GreenPower, 909 Capability Drive, Suite 2100, Raleigh, NC 27606 or make a payment online.
Corporate Connections Program
NC GreenPower also offers many ways for businesses to participate in the Corporate Connections Program:
- LEED purchases – NC GreenPower renewable energy generation was accepted by the US Green Building Council in 2008 as a source to quality for renewable energy LEED points – a true “buy local” option for N.C.
- Employee Awareness Drive – NC GreenPower can schedule a free presentation for your employees to learn more about our program and consider making a donation on their power bills.
- Employee Matching Campaign – For employers who match donations, employees can donate through payroll deduction and your company then can pass along your donation, as well as their matching donation, directly to NC GreenPower.
Corporate Sponsorship - If an organization decides to enter into a NC GreenPower corporate sponsorship, NC GreenPower will work with them to best leverage those marketing benefits that suit their needs, including an Employee Awareness Drive and listing on their website.
How else can I support NC GreenPower?
- Sign up for their monthly electronic newsletter – It’s a great way to keep up with the program on a regular basis and connect with their social media audience.
- Give the gift of NC GreenPower – NEW DESIGNS for NC GreenPower gift cards are available on their website for renewable energy and carbon offset purchases, allowing you to share your commitment with others through a donation.
- Green up your next event – Through a tax-deductible contribution to NC GreenPower Event Offsets, you can help to minimize the environmental impact of electricity usage, travel and food emissions.
About NC GreenPower:
Established in 2003, NC GreenPower is an independent, nonprofit organization established to improve North Carolina’s environment through voluntary contributions toward renewable energy and the mitigation of greenhouse gases. NC GreenPower was also the first, statewide multi-utility renewable energy program in the nation. This landmark program launched an opportunity for North Carolinians to voluntarily support the growth of renewable energy in North Carolina. In 2008, NC GreenPower added carbon offsets to address growing concerns about the impact of greenhouse gases on the environment.
For more information, visit www.ncgreenpower.org