Public safety is a top priority at GUC and is an integral part of our service commitment.
If customers smell gas inside their home, GUC advises the following:
- First, call Greenville Utilities immediately, at our Emergency Hotline 1-855-767-2482 from a neighbor’s phone. Call anytime, day or night, and we'll correct the problem.
- While you're waiting for repair service, open a window, don't use any matches, and don't operate electrical switches or appliances.
- Leave the site until the GUC representative arrives.
If customers smell natural gas outdoors, GUC recommends the following:
Call GUC immediately, at our Emergency Hotline 1-855-767-2482, and we will locate the problem with special gas detection equipment and make repairs. If there is a major leak, such as one caused by a severe storm or excavators damaging a gas line, follow these steps:
- Call GUC immediately.
- Don’t smoke or light a match.
- Don’t start any vehicles or electrical equipment near the area.
- Try to keep others from entering the area.
- If escape gas is burning, contact the Fire Department immediately.
For more information about natural gas safety, click here.